Family Portrait 2009

Family Portrait 2009
Taken just before Dad passed

Monday

Team Abbi

For those of you unfamiliar with the "Team Abbi".  Almost 1yr ago my baby brother and his wife had their second baby.  Little did any of us know the absolute miracle child she would turn out to be.  Abbi was born with Down Syndrome and a severly damaged heart.  The doctors tended to her needs as best they could and she was eventually sent home with well wishes.  Just weeks after being sent home she was re-admitted.  They decided it was necessary to do emergency heart surgery as without she would not thrive or possibly not live.  A gut-wrenching desicion was made and Abbi was taken into surgery, however, once in surgery the surgeon did not want to continue as he felt it was just too dangerous to proceed.  He did continue, though her little heart was terribly weak.  Her heart actually stopped beating as he began the incision.  We nearly lost her.  For 2 days we prayed and solicited prayers from friends and family.  She was literally at deaths door.  Vigils were held at her bedside.   Before we were able to catch our breath, she came back to us.  I tear up as I write this remembering the end of 2007 (Grandma's death) and beginning of 2008 (Abbi's near death) being so stressful I truly thought we, as a unit, would crack.  With no medical explanation for her recovery, she grew stronger each day.    Weeks past and she was able to return home to her mother, father and big sister.  With each passing month she has grown stronger and her heart, the damaged part they never thought she would be able to use, has healed itself.  I am so happy to say that as of today, dear Abbi, is a happy, healthy, nearly 14lb, almost 1yr old.  Today we were given amazing news.  She is now down to 1 daily medication.  Today her Digoxin (heart medication) was discontinued!  We will celebrate her birthday in less than 2wks.  I am amazed to think that at this time last year we feared we would not get one more day with her.  Truly, a miracle, we have had a year.  A blessed, blessed year.  She is this amazing little fighter, with all this spunk and she gave it to us in a little Abbi package.  Three cheers for Team Abbi.  
I normally try not to be a big looser and post twice in one day but.............seriously!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I tend to get carried away with the pic, but I just can't contain myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing! Glad to hear everything has progressed well for little Abbi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of prayer is an amazing thing!!

    I love your blog post away!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Janelle, this bought tears to my eyes (and down my cheeks). I'm so happy to hear Abbi is doing so well now. She's come so far!! What a little fighter!

    ReplyDelete

Archives